Saturday, May 1, 2010

May 1

Storyline ~
Venice is now complete! The streets of Venice are full of sound and music! The frieze is a piece of art that all should enjoy.
Last week we explored sound. We explored what sound is, sound vibrations and sound waves. The children went to the Bend Science Station and explored even more aspects of sound. The children were very excited about the experience.
In Music, Mrs.Smith has been working with the children on Elements of Sound. Specifically, dynamics, durations, tempo, timbre, pitch, volume and texture. She has also been exploring the musical instruments in orchestras and the different families such as woodwinds, brass and percussion and strings.

Are you wondering why we are learning so much about sound and instruments? Only time will tell!

Storyline Homework:
Making an instrument
The Great Venetian Gondola Race

Instruments needed in our classroom:
We are looking for percussion instruments to use in our classroom. If you have any we can borrow, that would be wonderful! Thank you.

Thank you to all who donated pencils. We are still looking for erasers and glue sticks.
Make sure you ask your children how they are doing in the colored pencil category and watercolor category. They may need some more to carry them through to the end of the year.

Artist In Residence:
Pam Bird, an Artist in Residence will be working with our children for five days beginning the week of the May 10 and finishing up the following week. Pam is an amazing teacher and artist. I am so excited that she will be working with our children. I have known her for many years (about 15) and I know she will give our children an amazing experience in art! I can't wait because I know I will learn as well! I will be sending out a volunteer schedule next week, as extra hands during an art project is always welcome!

The next two months ~
The next two months are going to fly by. It always amazes me how quickly this time goes. I have spoken to many parents about placement for next year and I thank you for your input. I have to work with the other teachers to make sure all the 2/3 classrooms are as equal as possible in all areas including academics, social and emotional. We spend a great deal of time working through this process. Please know I will do my very best to put your children in an environment that will suit their learning styles and social/emotional needs.

Have a great Sunday!
Becky