Saturday, January 9, 2010

Janurary 9, 2010




It was great to see all the kiddos last week and be in school again. Although I enjoyed my winter break, I was eager to see all the children again. As you know, we started our all school storyline.
National Park Ranger Connie came to our school on Monday and presented us with a challenge. She was sad to share with us that kids are not visiting National Parks anymore. Instead they are going to places likes Disney World and Six Flags. She asked each class to create a replica of National Park. Each teacher drew a park name out of a hat. We picked Biscayne National Park. She also asked us to host a National Park Open House Event to include tours, to encourage families of Bend to visit a National Park.
We eagerly took on the challenge and began by learning about Biscayne National Park. We have been watching videos and looking at slide shows. The students realized they have a lot to learn about Biscayne National Park but are eager to learn and share about this beautiful park. I’m so glad they are up to the challenge.

Reading:
In reading, along with teaching phonics and phonemic awareness, I am integrating a new program into my curriculum. It focuses on four areas of reading.
1. Comprehension - I understand what I read
2. Accuracy - I can read the words
3. Fluency -I can read accurately, with expression, and understand what I read.
4. Expanding Vocabulary - I know, find and use interesting words.

For each heading, I am introducing different strategies the children can use to help them in their work in each area. As the year progress, I will be introducing more and more strategies. Last week we covered:
Comprehension
  • Check for understanding: Stop every few pages and talk about what you have read. If you can't retell the story or are not sure what is going on, go back and reread the passage
Accuracy
  • Cross-Checking: If you come to a word that is difficult, ask yourself three questions
  • Do the pictures and/or words look right?
  • Does the word sound right?
  • Does the word make sense?
  • Go back and check the word or ask for help. Re-read the sentence
Expand Vocabulary:
  • Tune in to interesting words and use new vocabulary in speaking and writing.

Math:
We are staring a new math unit. Last week I sent home an information packet explaining our next chapter. Please read it, as it explains what we are doing!

Writing: We continue to write 3 to 4 times per week. We are working on sentence fluency, spelling and using descriptive language.

P.E. and Music: We will have P.E. next week.

As always, if you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me. I love talking about your children!

Best to you all,
Becky